June 18, 2008

It Matters!

I have been feeling rather ambivalent about politics at a national level lately.

Part of that comes from the lack of support for candidates such as Ron Paul simply because people felt he couldn't win. Well, with an attitude like that it's a wonder anyone gets elected. And then there was the way that the leadership of the GOP in Colorado decided that they wouldn't allow Ron Paul supporters to speak at the state convention. Also, the entire convention was conducted as if all the decisions were made behind smoke-encircled doors and the delegates were simply there to rubber-stamp what had been decided in those smoke-filled rooms. It's left a bad taste in my mouth and I'm completely cynically about the entire process now.

But, I had just come to a point in my life that I no longer accepted the reasoning of voting for a winner only. I felt that if everyone just voted their conscience, then the political landscape might change significantly. And I do believe that the political landscape is in need of change or it may collapse sooner than we think.

I know that when Ross Perot was running in the early 90's I felt he was a distraction and pulled votes away from the first Bush president and then from Senator Dole. That resulted in President Clinton winning twice.

I've often wondered what my ancestors would have thought of the candidates currently running to become our next President.

I am a descendant of Presidents Benjamin Harrison and William Henry Harrison and Declaration of Independence signer Benjamin Harrison. We are privileged to have been aloud to read some of the second Benjamin's diaries. He wanted to impart to his children a sense of responsibility to be involved in the civic government in our country which would include being an informed voter. To that end, he wrote a book about American History so that his children and grandchildren would know the importance of their civic involvement.

So as all this has rattled around in my noggin I've been wondering how I might create some enthusiasm within my own ponderings about which candidate I would support.

My leaning, of course, was towards McCain, but not because I was in favor of some of his proposed policies or stance on certain issues.

And then, Indiana Jane posted some thoughtful remarks about McCain and Obama in relationship to their views on abortion. And today, Cheryl posted about a Supreme Court decision that set a new precedent and will affect our citizens forever as our enemies have been given the same rights as citizens. The ramifications of this decision are quite far reaching and it should be noted that although the court has twice tried to do this in the past, Congress and President Bush have both come together -- yes, you read that right -- President Bush and Congress have come together to oppose the decision as they see the danger in allowing enemies the same rights as citizens.

Candidates McCain and Obama differ greatly in their opinion of this court decision. Senator McCain opposes it and Senator Obama praises it. Now whom do you suppose has the interests of our national sovereignty uppermost in his mind? Which candidate is going to support, protect and defend our Constitutional rights?

These are issues I can be passionate about and finally have found conviction that I can vote for the candidate not as the "lesser of two evils" but for the candidate who will oppose evil, both within our country as in the issue of abortion, and without our country as in the issue of national sovereignty such as extending the rule of habeas corpus to our enemies!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I am honored to know that my post played some role in your study of the issues. Thank you for sharing a peek into your thinking process!